Sunday, February 21, 2010

Extracting the graphics

The main work that I have done so far that is durable is extracting the graphics from the resource forks of the game files.  This turned out to be more work that I expected.  I wasn't able to find a simple way to save the images in a modern format.  My solution was to use a outdated trial/beta version of Resorcerer that had been carbonized, so it runs on Mac OS X to load the images.  Since it wouldn't allow me to export the images, I took screen shots of strips of the images.  Then I wrote a ruby script to automatically load up the strips and extract the images based on a map of the sizes I fed it.

I now have the graphics extracted into png format so I can move on with development for the most part and save getting the sounds for later.  I have a copy of AudioHijackPro, which I am planning on using to record each sound as I play it in Resorcerer and then cut in up in a audio editing program.

2 comments:

  1. How awesome that you got the rights to port this game! :) It would be a simple yet fun iPhone game I imagine. I'll 2nd the use of Audio Hijack Pro, it's a great app. The company now makes an app called "WireTap Studio" which is very similar. Of course you can use Audacity (free) for editing audio files, or even Garageband. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just tested, and I can easily rip every sound and graphic for you. Direct from the data, not via audio hijack. I'm sure by now you already have it all, but I thought I'd post just in case.

    ReplyDelete